April 2024 Happenings – WSU Pullman

Dear Cougs,

I hope you’re enjoying the rollercoaster that is spring weather on the Palouse. Soon we will enjoy that lovely Pullman sunshine!

As we head into the end of the semester (and the busiest time of the academic year), I want to extend my sincere thanks to each of you for all you do for each other and our community. It’s an exciting time of year, but also stressful for many, so remember to take some time to enjoy the outdoors or find other ways to take a deep breath.

Last month, I had the pleasure of hosting the second annual Share the Mic panel, in which three WSU women discussed their paths to leadership. A huge thank you to Ariana, Josie, and Lindsey for joining me and sharing your experiences. Learn more about these incredible Cougs below in the “Connect with Your Cougs” section.

The month kicked off with Romando Nash officially joining WSU Pullman as our vice chancellor for student affairs. He is joining us from the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR), where he was serving as the associate vice president for student life services. Prior to UNR, Romando served in leadership positions at various universities, always putting students first and prioritizing equity, inclusion, and belonging. I’m thrilled to welcome Romando and their family to the Palouse.

This week, I had the distinct honor of joining President Schulz and my fellow campus chancellors in Washington, D.C. We had an incredible few days meeting with our legislators and government partners and discussing all things WSU.

April is a time to celebrate the diverse identities, histories, and experiences of all Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. Please visit the AAPI programs and events page for more information.

This month is also sexual assault awareness and prevention month, a time to acknowledge the need to end sexual assault, as well as survivors’ resilience and need for healing. There are resources to help. Please visit the Women*s Center resource page.

WSU Pullman will be featured in season 12 of Amazon Prime’s “The College Tour.” Filming will occur on campus next week, April 15 – 19, and will feature 10 current WSU students. If you see the production crew around campus, be sure to give them a friendly, “Go Cougs!” The episode will be released in early fall.

Finally, I’m excited to share that my office has begun creating a series of articles on WSU Pullman’s impact. The first article in the series is about a recent study led by population health scientist Justin Denney on how social and economic factors affect sleep. Read the full article and visit our news and events page, where we will feature the series, my messages, and other news.

Best wishes for the rest of the semester, and congratulations to all our graduating Cougs!

Sincerely,

Elizabeth

Connect with Your Cougs

Ariana Williamson
Black Student Union President
Women*s Center Digital Media Coordinator

Q: What was your path to leadership?

A: “I was always taught that it’s not cool to just follow. It’s not cool to put your head down. It’s not cool to be quiet. Speak up, speak up for what is right, stand up for people, and stand up for yourself.”

Josie Cohen-Rodríguez
LGBTQ+ Center Student Life and Community Coordinator Student Affairs

Q: What does mentorship mean to you?

A: “One of the things I want to break down in how we think of mentorship is that it’s not just top down. It’s something that happens in both directions. That’s something that has really helped sustain me as I’ve been here.”

Lindsey J. du Toit
Chair, Department of Plant Pathology
Alfred Christianson Distinguished Professor of Vegetable Seed Pathology
CAHNRS

Q: Why become a leader?

A: “To be a leader for a leader’s sake is not the right reason to go into it. If you go into it because you believe in something and you can make a difference for the benefit of the community, I think that’s a more inspiring and more likely to be successful type of leadership.”