Looking Forward

Dear Cougs,

We’re officially a month away from the start of the semester. I hope you all are having a restful summer. I’m looking forward to the influx of students (both new and returning), faculty, and staff to the WSU Pullman campus.

For those who don’t know me, I’m Dave Cillay, and I have the honor of serving as your interim chancellor for the next year. I’ve served WSU as the vice president of academic outreach and innovation since 2012 and as the WSU Global chancellor since 2019. I’m looking forward to working at WSU Pullman, where I’ve lived for nearly three decades with my wife, Val, our three children, Justin, Madeline, and Jake (all Pullman High graduates), and our golden doodle, Winnie.

To say that our family bleeds crimson and gray might be a bit of an understatement. Similar to many of you, when Val and I came to Pullman, we had no intention of staying long-term. Yet WSU and the Pullman community were so warm and welcoming that we made it our forever home.

Since stepping into the Pullman chancellor role in May, I have been working with the chancellor’s cabinet and my fellow WSU leaders to develop a smooth transition plan and create a framework for the upcoming academic year – centered on the implementation of the WSU Pullman strategic plan. We’ll continue to improve our equitable student success and community engagement, as well as our financial sustainability.

Val and I look forward to meeting you all at one of the many events taking place on the Pullman Campus this fall. In addition, I hope that you’ll be able to drop in to the Chancellor’s Office in French Administration and say hello. I would love to meet you.

I hope to see you at one of the Week of Welcome events. Please consider volunteering to help welcome our new Cougs to the Cougar Family. Additionally, give us a follow on X (@WSUPChancellor) and Instagram (@wsupullmanchancellor) to hear about all the exciting happenings on campus and in our community.

Sincerely,

Dave